Eat your greens as a crispy crunchy snack and enjoy its health benefits at the same time. Kale is bursting with goodness, and is an excellent source of manganese, iron, calcium, copper, vitamin A C E & K. Also high in dietary fiber.
Kale chips are dried out at a very low temperature in a dehydrator. This helps retain vitamins, minerals and enzymes which can be destroyed when cooking. If you do not have a dehydrator you may use an oven. Oven temperature needs to be set at its lowest. Put kale chips on sheets of baking paper and set on trays in oven. Dry out 12 – 14 hours, or until crisp. The dehydrator used in this recipe is an Excalibur. If you have a different make follower manufacturers instructions.
400g of kale leaves, (dinosaur, curly or Russian kale)
2 cups raw cashews, soaked and drained
80g raw carrot peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
(make your own onion powder by taking dried onion and blending in a high speed blender. 1 1/2 tablespoons dried onion equals 2 tablespoons powder)
2 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoon savoury yeast flakes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup water
½ teaspoon agave
1-2 teaspoon salt
1) Put raw cashews in a glass bowl or jar, cover with water and soak 8-24 hours.
Rinse well before using in recipe.
2) Wash and remove the stems from kale, tear or cut into large pieces. Dry kale in a salad spinner or between two towels, then set a side in a large bowl.
3) Place the rest of ingredients, including the cashew nuts into a high speed blender. Blend until well blended and creamy. Add extra water a little at a time if required. Mixture should resemble a thick batter consistency, without any trace of nut particles.
4) Pour cashew cheez mixture over kale leaves. Using your hands, massage the cashew cheez into the kale until well incorporated, (you may want to wear gloves).
5) Take the kale and spread out onto mesh pollyscreens. Place screens on trays and put into dehydrator.
Dehydrate at 135 degrees for 3 hours then turn down temperature dial to 115 and continue to dehydrate 12 more hours. Kale chips are done, when they are crisp and crunchy.
6) Store chips in air tight containers, preferably glass.
Isaiah 58:11 And the Lord shall guide you continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones:and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
Posted by Yiannoulla Burness