Friday 2 September 2011

Carob Mousse


This desert is a great one to make when you need something quick and scrumptious. We often have people over and I have served it on many occasions. My favourite times are the ones where I serve it to chocolate lovers. I get a response something like this: "I thought that you didn't eat chocolate!" I assure them that they are right and then tell them that it has no chocolate, dairy or sugar in it!  

Ingredients
1 Cup chopped Dates
1 275ml Can Coconut Cream
1 Litre Soy Milk
1 Vanilla Bean or 1 tsp vanilla paste
2 tsp Ecco or other coffee substitute*
4Tbs Carob Powder*
5 Tbs Corn flour
½ c water

Note: I have discovered that there are two sizes for tablespoons (15ml and 20ml.) For this recipe I have used the 15ml Tablespoon to measure the corn flour and carob powder. Check yours to make sure that you get the same consistency and flavour. If you use a 20ml tablespoon the mousse will set too firm.


1. Place dates and water in a small saucepan and simmer for a few minutes until soft.
2.  Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean as shown below. If the bean is soft I often just chop it up and put the whole bean in.
 
 
3. place all of the ingredients, including the softened dates, into the blender and blend on high until smooth. If you do not have a high speed blender I suggest adding only about 1 cup soy milk and blending until a smooth paste is formed and then adding the remainder of the soy milk.

4. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and thicken on stove. You MUST stir the mousse constantly to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan and giving the mousse a burnt flavour.


5. Pour into dessert glasses and chill in the refrigerator

Serve with vegan cream and/or fresh strawberries and enjoy. 

*Carob Powder is made from the carob bean and can be used as a chocolate substitute. It is caffeine free and can be obtained from health food stores.
 



*Ecco is a coffee substitute made of roasted grains. It is found in the coffee section of the supermarket and helps give the mousse that rich chocolate flavour.





3 comments:

  1. one of my favourites! My 15 month old baby loves this mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i mean mousse not mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, hope you're all well. Any new recipes? It's been a while and we're getting hungry now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...