Carob crunch was made using whatever ingredients I had in the pantry at the time. You can do the same. Let your imagination run wild. Add dried fruit to replace some of the liquid sweetener. Try different nut butters and whole nuts. Use puffed wheat or millet instead of rice. Shredded coconut instead of fine coconut.
1 cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup almond slivers ,roasted
½ cup brazil nuts, roughly chopped
¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
¼ cup tahini
300g carob unsweetened buttons
1 ¼ cup agave* or other sweetener
1 tablespoon carob powder, heaped
1 cup rice puffs
½ teaspoon salt
- Roast almonds 15 minutes in hot oven, watch the nuts do not burn. Set aside until cool.
- Put nuts and remainder of ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except carob buttons.
- Place carob buttons in a medium size stainless steel bowl. Fill a saucepan with 2cm water, bring to boil. Place bowl over top of saucepan so it acts like a double boiler. Let water simmer gently under bowl, helping to melt carob. When carob is almost melted, add 1-2 tablespoon of water to thin the melted carob.
- Add melted carob to rest of ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Place a sheet of baking paper inside a baking dish 28 x 20cm. Spoon carob mixture into dish, press down firmly with a large spoon.- Place in the refrigerator and allow to set.
- Lift carob crunch out of dish holding onto the baking paper. Peel off paper. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Psalm 199: 103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea sweeter than honey to my mouth!