These patties are served with a side salad and sliced taro.
They taste great in a sandwich, ideal for a picnic lunch. Children love them. They also freeze well.
Makes 10 medium size patties
400g cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 cup rolled oats
1 large onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon braggs liquid aminos*
1 heaped teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon vegetable or chicken style stock powder (vegan)*
- Blend rolled oats in a food processor, place in a mixing bowl.
- Put drained chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until pureed. Add to bowl.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix together. Mixture should be firm and just moist. Take heaped tablespoons of mixture and form into patties.
- Coat patties in a mixture of 2 tablespoons each of flour and nutritional yeast flakes*. Shake off excess flour.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, add patties, reduce heat to low. Cover pan with a lid and cook patties 10 minutes each side.
- Remove patties from heat and place on a serving plate.
2 large onions thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oil in a fry pan then add sliced onion.
- Toss the onions in oil and cook on high heat for two minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook onions slowly. Cook 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the end of cooking time, onions should be sweetly caramelized and golden in color.
- Serve patties with a flavorsome gravy topped with caramelized onions.
*Braggs Liquid Aminos: is a healthy alternative to soy and Tamari sauce. Made from non-GMO soybeans with no preservatives or additives. Not fermented. Use in place of soy sauce. Available only in health food stores.
*Vegetable/chicken style stock powder: Comes in three flavors including beef. Completely vegan, No added salt or MSG. Gluten and lactose free. Available at supermarkets in the seasoning section.
*Nutritional Yeast Flakes: Has a strong cheese like flavor. Good source of B complex vitamins and is a complete protein. Only available in health food stores.
Psalm 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Posted by Yiannoulla